Dallas County Defensive Driving
If you received a ticket in Dallas, Irving, Garland, Mesquite, or any city in Dallas, Texas county, it's important to understand your options. In Dallas County, if you enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest and complete a Driver's Safety Course (another name for Defensive Driving), you may be able to have your Texas traffic ticket dismissed.
In order to take a defensive driving course, you must provide a Dallas County Court with the following documents:
- Proof of insurance/financial responsibility (typically your auto liability insurance documents)
- A copy of your Texas driver's license
- A money order or cashier's check payable to The City of Dallas for the associated fee. The fee for traffic offenses is $112.10, except for speeding in a school zone which carries a fee of $137.10.
- Be sure to include your case number on your check.
- Your traffic citation with Plea Option #2 filled out completely.
Once a Dallas County Court has received these documents and is aware you plan on attending a defensive driving course, the terms and conditions of defensive driving will be mailed to you. You will have 90 days to complete the course. In order to dismiss your traffic ticket, you will also need to submit a certified copy of your Texas driving record.
Some tickets are not eligible for dismissal in a Dallas County court. For example, if you were speeding more than 25 mph over the posted speed limit or if you hold a commercial driver's license you may not take defensive driving to dismiss the ticket. The Dallas County Court will notify you if you are eligible.
With TexasDrivingSchool.com's Online Texas Defensive Driving course you can complete the course whenever it is convenient for you over the 90 days, whether that be in one long session or several shorter sessions.